The aim is to live Off the grid. This means: (1) Living outside "the system" of conventional society, such as by not using an identity document or Social Security number, (2) iving in a self-sufficient manner without reliance on one or more public utilities. Off-the-grid homes are autonomous; they do not rely on municipal water supply, sewer, natural gas, electrical power grid, or similar utility services. A true off-grid house is able to operate completely independently" (says Wikipedia). To get a more clear picture what it acutally means, read the 10 starting tipps, watch either the movie Life on the Mesa or read about it.
- collect rain water - all you need are (non corroding) water barrels
- be responsible about the grey water: collect it and filter or clean it by plants (sewage treatment) - usable for shower, garden and if boiled for drinking also.
- reduce energy consumption - get a clear picture of main consumers (need a ammeter to record power consumption)
- buildup a windfarm on roofs - vertical axes turbines (savonius rotor)
- excessively use earth batteries (boxes in every room to equal consumption)
- construct methane digester to use biogas for warming, cooking - a wood pile heats water up to 70 degC
- make a list of all the things you like to eat, yummie :)
- imagine where they come originally, how they have been fabricated, packaged and transported to this place
- figure out alternative ways to gain them locally
- or at best replace them by local seasonal food from your own farm - let's start to collect the seeds for the next growing season!
Do you have more ideas? Let me know!
This class has no schedule nor end and is intended for active participation, as publishing stories, commenting and sharing thoughts is expected. Feel free to attend this class even from far. I am curious, what you are interested in and to read about your projects about self suffciiency and living off grid.
At the moment I live on a farm near Ljubljana / Slovenia and am experimenting on my own with methane collection and sewage treatment.