You just need to Login or Register to make a class proposal. (Sorry about that, but it cuts down on spam and also helps with organizing)

Capitalism and Schizophrenia / Anti-Oedipus / Deleuze and Guattari
(51)
+

+ Add me
+ Add me!

I'm very interested in making an attempt to understand this tome with a group of fellow readers - socratic leader/teacher/interpreter needed. 

On the purpose/approach: interest in comprehending D&G's methods and positions in the text, then seeing what aspects of D&G's analytical tools may still be useful to apply in some senses to our cultural realities today. In a general sense, the approach will be that applying theoretical psychoanalytical tools on a societal level is a very powerful method of analysis and interpretation.  We can discuss Freud's Civ and its Discontents, Marcuse's ideas, Foucault, and others as needed in the early sessions.

First class TBD some time in mid september at 155 Freeman st. If we meet more frequently than once a month, as I think we should, we can't use Freeman space, so we will determine subsequent meeting times and locations then and post it here. I think meeting once a month is too slow and the density of the text will prove to be too much. Meeting every 2 weeks, or even once a week will keep it fresh and alive.  We will likely do a chapter or 2 per session, and proceed through the tome, unless its decided otherwise at first mtg. 

We would really benefit from the help of a discussion leader with some familiarity with philosophy + the text to socratically lead discussions; perhaps help interpret and contextualize each chapter a bit each week. 

A lot of the structure of the discussions will be worked out at the first class.

text: penguin classic trans version trans by Hurley and Seem with preface by Foucault.

 

 

Interested (51)
+ Add me
+ Add me!

Comments

The Public School's picture

(We couldn't figure out who sent this email so it says it's come from TPS, but it is really from a person)

Thanks Jono perfect for a 3 hour train ride today :-) Sheelagh

jonotrain's picture

Hey Sheelagh, here's a recording of our second class:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zz5pza

The Public School's picture

(We couldn't figure out who sent this email so it says it's come from TPS, but it is really from a person)

Great thanks much appreciated

Sheelagh

Re: Thanks for the good wishes,

I've got an audio recorder, so class will recorded tomorrow.

jonotrain's picture

Thanks for the good wishes, guys.  I'm hanging in there.  I don't think the Public School has a recording device handy, but we'll see if another class member can bring one.

-J

There have been responses on the other thread (I guess there are separate threads for the "class" and "proposal", this one is for the proposal)

Consensus among the handful that responded seems to be to continue with the class (myself included).

Jonathan -- I would be happy to press record if there's a recorder at the public school that I could use. And hope you're ok!

jonotrain's picture

Hey Sheelagh,

The class will meet on the third, but I'm not sure if anyone will be able to record.  I'll send out a message and we'll see.

-J

The Public School's picture

(We couldn't figure out who sent this email so it says it's come from TPS, but it is really from a person)

Hey sorry you not feeling well Jonathan - I haven't seen any responses to your email - so not sure if class going ahead or not. If it does could someone record audio please?

jonotrain's picture

 

Hey all,

I wanted to let you know that unfortunately I'm not feeling great and think I may not be able to make it to class on Wednesday.  The meeting can still take place, but I won't be able to facilitate the discussion as I did last time.  As long as you all feel comfortable without a discussion leader (or if someone would like to step up to provide some prompts for conversation this week) , another public school committee member can come open the space and let the class happen.

If people would rather cancel this meeting and wait until 10/17, that's also an option, but I assumed people would rather not lose momentum.  Let me know what you all think. 

And I apologize - I wish I could be there. 

-Jonathan

jonotrain's picture

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to give a heads up that the Sunday reaing group will be meeting next sunday, 10/7, at Cage, 83A Hester St. You can sign up for notices here: http://thepublicschool.org/node/31551

Group Guattari is a closed group of writers and artists involved with CAGE who (in a nutshell) read a LOT of Guattari and are interested in schitzoanalysis. The website isn't very helpful, but —
www.groupguattari.info.

CAGE is a space that is not quite a collective, but something like it — http://www.cage83.com/83.html (click on the "about" in the lower-right-hand-corner.

I can and am willing to host Sunday reading groups there if even just a few people are interested. If you are, please sign up here:
http://thepublicschool.org/node/31551

Mikey

Also, what is Group Guattari?

Yeah I was thinking that too -- or what is CAGE? Seems interesting...

Really enjoyed the first class ... I think I may need to show up late for the next one though. Is anyone incredibly bothered by people showing up in the middle of the discussion?

The Public School's picture

(We couldn't figure out who sent this email so it says it's come from TPS, but it is really from a person)

Fabulous thanks!

Sheelagh

Hi, definitely interested!

Also, what is Group Guattari?

jonotrain's picture

I wanted to second what Michael has said about folks who can't make our Wednesday meetings - I think it would be great to have two separate groups, and perhaps try to find times for inter-group discussions to see what different directions we're heading in - but because of my own schedule and the schedule of the 155 Freeman space I won't be able to involved in hosting or setting up another class.  I hope everyone who's interested is still able to meet up, and if you do, we should try to keep each other informed about our discussions.  I'll start a separate page for people who want to discuss the possibility of a Sunday meeting.

-J

jonotrain's picture

Yep! Here's a recording of the first class.  The audio is a little low - I'll work on that for the next meeting.

http://www.mediafire.com/?b6t2tenodd1njs4

(my apologies to folks who are getting these messages twice - since some people are signed up on the "class" page and some on the proposal page this is the only way to reach everyone)

-J

I also wanted to point out that some of us felt weird about speaking for the folks who couldn't make it on Wednesdays and preferred Sundays.

I /may /be able to offer CAGE (www.cage83.com) as a space for a separate Sunday group to meet then. A group called Group Guattari already meets at CAGE, so clearly there is already implicit sympathy.

It would require somebody with a key (not me anymore) to let everyone into the space — I'd like to gauge interest first, and then maybe I'd jump to the Sunday group to help coordinate.

The Public School's picture

(We couldn't figure out who sent this email so it says it's come from TPS, but it is really from a person)

I am glad the class got off the ground did u decide whether u will audio record classes ?

jonotrain's picture

 

Hey everyone!

Our next meeting is now on the calendar: 7 PM Wednesday 10/3 at 155 Freeman.  We'll be discussing the first chapter of Anti-Oedipus.  See you all then!

(and no need to have been to our previous discussion to attend!)

-J

Definitely interested. I recently just handed off my copy to a friend, but I will be able to obtain a PDF of it somewhere; otherwise, I'm pretty stoked on this. I read both volumes of Capitalism and Schizophrenia this summer and I really want to get back into the swing of things before I start reading Difference & Repetition and the Logic of Sense.

The Public School's picture

(We couldn't figure out who sent this email so it says it's come from TPS, but it is really from a person)

That would be so kind of you ! I have listened to Berkeley podcasts previously and found it terrific way to engage with work.

Thanks

Sheelagh

Recording the classes would really be super helpful if this is at all possible. For me, I might not be able to come this Wednesday but definitely will be if we switch to Sundays, but I wouldn't want to miss this first one.

Definitely, if there are the means to record audio or video, please do!

Julio.

jonotrain's picture

Hey sheelaghnagig,

I'll talk to the others about it but I think skype participation may be a little impractical.  Perhaps as an alternative we could try to record the classes and share that with you?

-J

jonotrain's picture

Hey everyone,

A couple of people have asked when the first meeting will be - the time is 7 PM, this Wednesday the 19th, at 155 Freeman in Greenpoint.

-Jonathan

NormLawWordTextTradition's picture

Dear Jonathan and Others,

The Minnesota Press edition and the Penguin edition are identical — I think they are photostats of the 1977 Viking edition. The only advantage of the Minnesota edition is that it has bigger margins and a less philistine blurb on the back cover.

jonotrain's picture

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that our first meeting has been scheduled for Wednesday, September 19th at 7 PM.  We'll be meeting at 155 Freeman in Greenpoint to discuss the preface, introduction, and some of the first chapter of anti-oedipus.  Here is a link to the text:

http://www.mediafire.com/?gojygi4rliavv05

This is the Minnesota Press edition - if anyone has a pdf of the Penguin edition and could post a link to that it would be most appreciated.

At the first meeting, we will also discuss the form of the class, how frequently we will meet/how quickly we will go through the text, and other planning issues that will structure our class.  We hope that everyone interested will come out and be involved in structuring this reading group.

Don't worry if you aren't able to read the first chapter by the 19th - you'll still be able to participate in the discussion.

Hope I see you there!

-Jonathan

jonotrain's picture

Hey Este Puerta,

 

Are you interested in volunteering to lead/teach some or all of the discussions?  That sounds great - why dont you send me an email and let me know how you envision the classes being set up - you can reach me at: jonathan.e.basile [at] gmail.com

I am interested in volunteering for this.

I am interested in volunteering for this.

I am interested in volunteering for this.

I am very interested in this reading group/seminar! It would be my first serious read of the text as well, and I am really interested in reading with people who are already somewhat confident in their ability to navigate it.

I am very interested in this reading group/seminar! It would be my first serious read of the text as well, and I am really interested in reading with people who are already somewhat confident in their ability to navigate it.

We could do it everyday and meet outside

re: pikate - good idea - we expect to be able to provide almost a month of notice before first mtg - looking at mid/late sept.

Hi I would like to participate by Skype if thats possible - but being on a European time zone might be difficult -

I would really like to participate in this reading group, but as this will be my first read of the text, I'd like to know a timeline so that I can get a copy of the book and make time to start reading before we meet.

As details start to firm up, let's leave a little bit of time before the first meeting so that everyone in the group can come prepared to the first meeting.

Super excited!

Login

Close this window